The Maritime Volunteer Service is a charity funded entirely by membership and voluntary contributions with no direct assistance from the public purse.
Like any charity we face funding challenges, for example:
- Keeping membership subscriptions low enough to attract recruits
- Purchase and operating costs of our craft
- Berthing and secure storage of our vessels
- Hire and maintenance of premises for meetings
- and many more
Operating costs are kept to a minimum by our skilled volunteers carrying out almost all of the maintenance tasks, but specialist contractors are occasionally required and we cannot avoid the cost of spares, fuel and insurance.
Examples of costs are:
- £30,000 per annum to administer the MVS using unpaid volunteers where the major expenses are in insurance, essential travel, and administrative support.
- £5,000 per annum to operate a RIB or launch
- £25,000 per annum to operate a 24 metre training ship.
If you can help in any way either through a donation or a grant however great or small it will be warmly received.
Remember, the United Kingdom is an island nation and we rely heavily upon the many services that support our coastal and inlet waters.
If you would like to make a secure online donation now using a credit or debit card, please click on the "Donate Now" button below.